Vitamin D deficiency in children
According to Cashman et al, 13% of children have vitamin D deficiency (<30nmol/l)1. At risk groups for vitamin D deficiency include the following2-5;
- Children in long stay care or in hospital
- Dark Skinned children
- Children with a BMI > 98th centile 6
- Children with limited effective sun exposure
- Use of certain concomitant medication
- Children with malabsorption
About Altavita® D3
- Altavita® D3 is licensed for the prevention and treatment of vitamin D deficiency 2-5
- Altavita® D3 oral solution can be taken by children aged 0-18 years 2
- Altavita® D3 soft capsules are licensed for children aged 10 – 18 years 3-5
- Please see the Paediatric dose card below for further details
- Always prescribe Altavita® D3 by brand name and presentation
How to take Altavita® D3 Soft Capsules
- Altavita® D3 soft capsules can be taken by children aged 10 to 18 years 3,4,5
- Altavita soft capsules should be swallowed whole with water.
- They should be taken at mealtimes.
How to take Altavita® D3 Oral Solution
Altavita D3 oral solution can be taken by children aged 0 – 18 years. 2
Altavita® D3 Oral Solution can be mixed with a small amount of appropriate food such as
- Other dairy product
- Or lukewarm food.
If mixing Altavita with food, parents should ensure that their child consumes the entire portion of food so that all of the Altavita is taken.
Parents should not be concerned about the small amount of oral solution remaining in the container after squeezing – it has been deliberately over filled.